During March and April of 2018, Bethel engaged in an intentional time of discernment about our ministry together called “Bethel Reforming” which focused on the 5 P’s; we began in Prayer and considered our Purpose as stated in our constitution; we have discerned our Principles (Core Values), highlighted some Possibilities for ministry and set Priorities for moving forward toward a 2020 Vision.
UPDATE: On Sunday, September 30, Rev. John Wertz, the Director for Evangelical Mission for the Virginia Synod, was here at Bethel to preach and lead us through our congregational visioning event andnext steps as we move toward our 2020 Vision! Taking our Principles (Core Values) that came from our Bethel Reforming work, we have developed three working groups. Each of these working groups will have follow up meetings and action steps.
Implementing God’s Mission for Bethel
– Develop an organizational structure that is flexible and helpful for today’s world
– Discern staffing needed to accomplish God’s ministry
- (Update) This group presented a recommendation to the Bethel Council requesting that we pursue a Parish Administrator position. The Bethel council is considering this recommendation and will be working on a staffing recommendation during the first months of 2019.
Supporting God’s Mission for Bethel
– Identify strengths and develop strategies for ministry within the congregation
– Develop stewardship and creatively discern new financial support for Bethel
- (Update) After meeting on Sunday, September 30, this group chose to instead put together a tool that will work to help congregational members and friends find connections with each other. A web tool is being developed currently by Pat Shields to help with this and we will “roll it out” as soon as it is completed.
- The other piece from this meeting is that the Council will be working to develop “Shepherding Teams” that will help us stay connected with each other, especially those who we have not seen in a while.
Sharing God’s Mission for Bethel
– Develop logo/brand which reflects Bethel’s mission
– Develop a plan for sharing logo/brand & story with congregation and community.
- The Logo And Branding Team has been hard at work and have each met once since our September 30 meeting. They have come up with the following way for you to help us in our initial stages of developing a logo, brand, and plan for sharing God’s mission at Bethel. We are asking that you go to this survey Three Words that Best Describe Bethel and fill it out. The team will compile your answers and help shape our next steps.
Results from Bethel Reforming (2018)
Principles (Core Values)
- Build Strong Healthy Relationships with Members/Friends
- Worship Where God’s Presence is Experienced
- Interact with Local Community for Good
- Help Those in Need
- Seek Out and Use the Gifts of All Ages
The below link will share many of the exciting possibilities for ministry that came out of Bethel Reforming.
The below link shares the Priorities and Timeline for next steps of Bethel Reforming.